Which Data Plan Should I Choose?
If you are flying around Australia, there is only one carrier to choose from: Telstra has the greatest coverage by far. You would need to go very far from civilisation to not get a signal at 3,000 feet!
How Much Data Does OzRunways Use?
Downloading all the maps, ERSA, DAPs and terrain with every update, you would not use much more than about 6 GB per year. While you are flying and all data is downloaded, you will be using little to no data on your plan.
As you can download all data at home on WiFi, you do not need a huge amount of data on your plan.
Prepaid or Plan
You can go on any monthly plan, but we find the best value and most flexible to be pre-paid. At the time of writing (April 2018) Telstra has a pre-paid offer of 10 GB for $70 valid for 180 days OR 30 GB for $150 valid for 365 days.
During that period, you are free to use 2 GB in one month and next to nothing for the next two months. Something you can not do with a monthly 1GB plan.
- Downloading maps/charts from nearby devices (mesh networking)
- How do I make it track-up?
- Export plan sheet to pdf, export map print page to pdf etc for iOS
- Will my iPad’s GPS work without a sim-card or a signal ?
- Can iPhone tethering (hotspot) give the iPad a GPS position? No and here is why.
- View all (52 more)