Which Android Device Should I Buy?
Unlike iPads, you don't need to buy a tablet with a cellular modem to get built in GPS, but that doesn't mean all of them have GPS, so check carefully. While cheaper tablets can be found and they do run RWY, they are generally slower and have a much shorter battery life. Less well equipped devices will not run RWY adequately in all cases. Purchasing a high spec device is highly recommended.
With that in mind here are the minimum device specifications we recommend you consider when purchasing a tablet to run RWY:
- 1.5GB RAM
- 16GB of internal storage if using an SD card as well, or 32GB internal storage if not using an SD card
Android version 7.0 or higher
Although RWY will run on Android versions 6.0 and above, we suggest purchasing a tablet with Android 7.0 or higher to future proof your device.
Consider cellular (3G/4G) capability
To use some of RWY's features such as the ability to see other OzRunways Traffic while flying on your device, you will require cellular capability.
Consider GPS capability
Not all Android tablets have a GPS receiver, including many of the Lenovo models easily available at major Australian retailers. So check this carefully when considering tablets other than the recommended Samsung model.
Samsung is the logical choice at the moment as no other manufacturer is as dedicated to Android tablets.
Buy one online or in an electronics store, not in combination with a cellular plan. Carriers often also add their own extras and you may not get Android updates that those who bought the stock-device do.
We currently recommend:
- Samsung Tab S The Tab S series has always been top of the line, and anything 4th generation (Tab S4) or newer will work well. Tab S5e and S6 Lite are great value devices.
- Samsung Tab A is another option for an entry level device, bearing in mind Samsung release new versions of this without changing the name, unlike the S series. So a 2017 model isn't as up to date as a 2019 one!
Currently the minimum supported version of Android OS is Marshmallow 6.0 or above.
Google releases a new major version of Android every year, and we expect to increase our minimum supported version somewhat in line with this.
- How do I make it track-up?
- Export plan sheet to pdf, export map print page to pdf etc for iOS
- Will my iPad’s GPS work without a sim-card or a signal ?
- Can iPhone tethering (hotspot) give the iPad a GPS position? No and here is why.
- CAAP 234 Guidelines for Aircraft Fuel Requirements Update
- View all (53 more)