Which Android Device Should I Buy?
Unlike iPads, you don't need to buy a tablet with a cellular modem to get built in GPS. While cheaper tablet can be found and they do run RWY, they are generally slower and have a much shorter battery life. Less well equipped devices will not run RWY adequately in all cases. Purchasing a high spec device is highly recommended.
With that in mind here are the minimum device specifications we recommend you consider when purchasing a tablet to run RWY:
- 1.5GB RAM
- 16GB of internal storage if using an SD card as well, or 32GB internal storage if not using an SD card
Android version 6.0 or higher
Although RWY will run on Android versions 5.0 and above, we suggest purchasing a tablet with Android 6.0 or higher to future proof your device.
Consider cellular (3G/4G) capability
To use some of RWY's features such as the ability to see other OzRunways Traffic while flying on your device, you will require cellular capability.
Samsung is the logical choice at the moment as no other manufacturer is as dedicated to Android tablets.
Buy one online or in an electronics store, not in combination with a cellular plan. Carriers often also add their own extras and you may not get Android updates that those who bought the stock-device do.
We currently recommend:
- Samsung Tab S2 8.0 or 9.7 Is highly recommended with 4:3 8" screen it's a great size, has good battery life and, in the 4G version at least, a very reliable GPS.
Which ever device you decide to purchase, there is a requirement for it to be a device which runs Lollipop 5.0 or above for RWY to function.
- Downloading maps/charts from nearby devices (mesh networking)
- How do I make it track-up?
- Export plan sheet to pdf, export map print page to pdf etc for iOS
- Will my iPad’s GPS work without a sim-card or a signal ?
- Can iPhone tethering (hotspot) give the iPad a GPS position? No and here is why.
- View all (49 more)